The Aim and objectives of the Symposium:
The CARILEC GIS Symposium is a programme of the Carilec GIS Committee (CariGISC) that aims at satisfying aspects of its mandate which are:
- To monitor, guide and assist in the development of GIS within member utilities
- To provide a forum and framework for sharing of ideas and education for member utilities and member development in geospatial technology.
- Monitor improvements in GIS technology and advise members on appropriate adoption practices.
- Report on best practices and identify pitfalls in the implementation of GIS.
- Guide the development and maintenance of GIS databases across member utilities.
This aim stems from these objectives:
- Provide a platform for GIS Focal points, Engineers, HR Managers, Technicians and other Utility personnel who are have interest in the development and maintenance of GIS within their respective utility. It promotes the development of capacity to interact and contribute towards the sustainable development of our utilities.
- Addressing different dimensions, concerns and recent developments in the market mechanisms that control the capture, archiving and dissemination of geo-data within our utilities.
- To learn ways to build and deploy the culture of “sustainable development” among our Utilities and develop on ways to leverage the opportunities that may be available locally, regionally and internationally, through vendor support, Training and Networking.
- Identify and share the most important challenges and opportunities facing our Utilities and develop GIS based applications to assist in the realization of the concept of “sustainable utility.”
To highlight successful experiences, valuate current efforts and suggest future directions and policies to develop and promote GIS-based cost effective ways to improve our utility’s efficiency and customer satisfaction.